Friday, October 06, 2017

Fair Criticism from Our Catholic Friends


I am a convictional Protestant. I affirm all 5 of the Reformation Solas. If it wouldn’t offend my mother, I would have the face of Charles Spurgeon tattooed on my chest.

I’m in. All in. But that isn’t to say I’m on board with everything I see in contemporary evangelicalism.

Things are getting squirrely out there and the neighbours are starting to notice. Thankfully, the leaders within evangelicalism are starting to notice as well. John MacArthur went on the record over a year ago declaring that the word “evangelical” was no longer useful as a general descriptive term for our movement. It means so much that it means basically nothing. More recently, Russell Moore has questioned whether the term is worth keeping given how broad and untethered the evangelical armada has now become. This isn’t your grandfather’s evangelicalism. This is not “Big Tent Billy Graham” evangelicalism. This is a rolling tire fire. Our movement has become a mob, and it’s time to take that seriously.

I’ve had a number of conversations recently with former evangelicals who have left our tribe and joined up with the Roman Catholics. What each of those people have in common is a critical concern with the amount of unfettered theological and ethical diversity on display within the evangelical movement.

That’s a fair criticism, and while I accept their diagnosis, I reject their prescription. I’m not ready to get back on the Big Catholic Bus. I am however ready to repent and to call for another reformation.

Along with my spiritual grandparents, I still believe that back is the way forward. Yes we are a mess now, but just a few generations ago we were enjoying the favour of God. Let’s go back! Let’s not abandon the project – let’s just admit that we’ve made a few bad turns.

Let’s return to the Rock from which we were hewn and the Quarry from which we were dug. In specific, I’m calling on my people – my tribe – to do the following.... Read More

Related Article:
The Five Solas - Points from the Past that Should Matter to You

No comments: