Tuesday, July 18, 2017

5 Terrible Reasons to Go Into Ministry


I’ve seen too many people in vocational ministry fail to launch.

Perhaps “launch” is not the best term, because they may stay in ministry for many years. But they never seem to do well. They never seem to have a peace. They seem like they are always trying to prove something.

I recently went through my old seminary pictorial directory. I was able to locate 47 people I knew in seminary who I know where they are today. Of that 47, only eight remained in ministry. If you are doing the math, that is an 83 percent dropout rate.

Vocational ministry is a calling. It is not just another vocation. If you enter ministry for the wrong reasons, you will not likely do well. Indeed, you will not likely make it.

What are some of the terrible reasons to enter vocational ministry? Here are five of the most common failures. Read More
This article is a repost. It was originally posted on Thom Rainer's Blog. Those seeking to enter vocational ministry do need to evaluate their motives for doing so. It is an important step to take before embarking upon that vocation.

No comments: